Duet2 wifi lcd

Can you use other lcd panels besides the duet Panedue on the duet2 wifi? For example, the reprap lcd that the maestro uses thats only $25.

0 Likes

in short -> no or you implement something that it works :wink:

0 Likes

Hi,

as far as I can see there is nothing that you can not do via the web interface of the Duet 2 (Eth or WiFi). The LCD is only a nice add on I think.

I have just ordered one myself and chose to not get an LCD because of that.

Regards
Jan

0 Likes

I understand that you can do everything with out an lcd. what I want to know is if duet2 wifi can only interact with the duet branded Paneldue lcd?

0 Likes

As far as I can see in the documentation you can use any display module with these basic features:

• 480×272 (4.3-inch displays) or 800×480 pixels (5- and 7-inch displays)
  • SSD1963 controller chip
  • Resistive touch panel controlled by a XPT2046 or compatible chip
  • 40-pin 2-row 2.54mm pitch header for making the connections.

There is some detailed docu here:

It required its own ARM type 32bit controller to work and firmware. its not just a dumb display with touch screen but rather its own computing device receiving and sending gcode via the serial port from what I understand.

I have found one clone on Aliexpress but the price difference does in my opinion not warrant the potentially lower quality. You can get the ready made controller without the display module and add your own LCD. Given that it is gcode to communicate you could in theory probably implement your own “Display Controller” of some form if you go through the source code see what it sends and receives.

I guess if there was a big enough market for 3rd party display controllers for the Duet 2 there would be alternatives, the entire Duet line of controllers just does not strike me to be for the “budget” user.

Jan

0 Likes

Hi again,

upon further reading it is stated clearly in the documentation:

Support for LCD displays

The only LCD display currently supported is the PanelDue colour touch screen. However, you can control a Duet from any smartphone or tablet using the web interface, and there is an on-board SD card socket. So there is less need for an LCD control panel than with other electronics.

Quote End

Jan

0 Likes

Is the duet mastero compatible with duet web control?

0 Likes

I guess you mean Duet 2 Maestro ? Yes it has the same web interface but with less I/Os to control as its different hardware. Its listed as feature here:

Also the WebControl docu can be found here:

Jan

0 Likes

is it possible to connect the duet2 mastero to a laptop with an ethernet cable to control it?

0 Likes

Yes, you can. If you connect directly without switch/hub you may need a cross over cable but most modern computers have Auto-MDIX to change from straight to cross over. Have a read here:

Step 8 should give you the answers.Generally it may be a good idea to browse through the documentation. It is very comprehensive and should answer most questions you have actually.

Jan

0 Likes