Ender 3 Print bed adhesion issues - failing dismally

Hello,

Apologies should these issues be covered already on the forum. Help/assistance would be most gratefully received. I’m completely new to the field of 3D Printing and find the whole subject fascinating although what I’ve experienced with such has been nothing other than extremely frustrating (buying 3D printers that are faulty straight out of the box being one of the problems).

What I would like to do is be able to contribute towards 3D printing face masks however despite assembly & bed levelling going quite well I’m really struggling with bed adhesion issues.

A test file seems to print okay. As for printing the small puppy that’s on the accompanying USB Stick from Creality these start to print with no issues and the texture on the puppy looks like it’s very smooth which is not something I thought would be possible on an Ender 3.

Several hours into the print the model breaks away from the print surface repeatedly.

I’ve tried levelling the print bed whilst cold and set to a temperature of 50c and possibly also 60c from recollection. I’ve also tried using glue sticks and last night put a glass bed onto the heated build plate - neither with any success whatsoever.

As for cleaning the print bed surface I’ve been using 70% IPA Alcohol Wipes and now nothing is sticking to the print bed. I’m feeling exhausted and frustrated. Aware this is a learning curve however feel that I’m doing something fundamentally wrong and would really appreciate some help with this.

Can anyone please be kind enough to advise what I’m doing wrong and what the fix is for this issue?

At a guess the issue could be down to incorrect bed levelling however I’m not sure on this. The print quality seems to be good however at a guess I don’t really know what is good and what is not - particularly where the first print height is concerned. I’m carring out bed levelling with a piece of paper and the paper is dragging but not creasing with the paper moving back and forth. I’d bought some feeler gauges from Amazon and would use those however don’t know what the distance between the extruder and print bed should be nor whether they should be used at all over a sheet of paper to be honest.

Many thanks for any help and suggestions.

Stay safe and well.

i bought this "-Removal Spring Steel Sheet Pre-applied PEI+Magnetic Base 220/235/310mm for Ender 3 CR-10 CR-10S 3D Printer Hot Bed- from aliexpress soved the adhesion issues even abs stays stuck

1 Like

I had to register just to reply, as this was a headache for me for a loooong time.
I have an Ender 3 as well, and here’s what I did:

I clean my bed using a 99% IP/Citrus soap mix. This cleans the bed for sure, stripping away any bits that don’t want to be removed. :slight_smile: Overkill, yes, but it gives me a nice, clean glass bed to work with.
From there, I spray an even coat of Lamaur “vita/e” unscented ultra hold hairspray on the cold bed. I heat to 60C then another quick even coat. The only time I have adhesion issues at this point is when I clean the bed and forget to recoat. I’ve had 20+ prints stick and no issues. YMMV.

As for the feeler gauges, I use the .005/.127 gauge for the first round, then drop down to the .004/.102 gauge for the second pass. I’ve successfully used either gauge for a great print.
Always level the bed at the temperature you’ll be printing at, both on the extruder and the bed. You want to simulate the operating conditions as close to RL as possible.

Hope this helps!
Kris