Recycling

I know there is a filament that does some recycling at the manufacturing stage ReForm’s rTitanX (Maker noob did a You Tube) but wouldn’t it be cool if there were some location/s probably a few where we could send our old unused filament/failed models.

For this to be viable there would have to be at least one somewhere in Europe and one in North America and I presume there’s got to be some easy way to separate PLA and ABS one option would be if the filament suppliers were to include a return address label be that their own or some nominated handler.

There must be tons of unused filament and really badly printed benchies out there. :wink:

0 Likes

The practical solution for now is separating different materials right at the source. Put failed PLA prints into a separate bag from ABS. You should be able to find a facility that can recycle ABS because it’s a plastic that is often used in other manufactured products. PLA on the other hand is not so common. There are some DIY options, for example https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30642 .

0 Likes

1 Like

Very important and I think that recyling is in our hands or in some smaller recycling stations.

Thats the best project I came across. It´s practically a complete recycling plant you can build yourself. I´m going down that route too soon.

:slight_smile:

0 Likes

I love the videos of 3D prints recycling. I think these are worth watching.

0 Likes

I think that is the most practical way to recycle prints. It is especially handy when you need a sturdy sheet like mechanical stress points.

1 Like