I’m thinking about upgrading to dual extrusion. I want to be able to print multi-material with TPU in combination with ABS/PLA/PETG. My question is now what kind of dual extruder I would be most suitable for this setup. I could think of:
- Dual direct drive (probably at least one of them with dual drive hobbed gears for the TPU)
- One direct drive (for the TPU) and one Bowden for the ABS/PLA/PETG (to reduce weight)
- Some people have reported success in printing TPU with Bowden extruders, so maybe that’s also an option?
- A Prometheus-type of extruder multiplexer (I don’t think it’ll work well with flexible materials, but I’ve read a report or two of users having made that work.
- A direct-drive system with a flex-shaft, so the extruder motors are not mounted on the X-carriage.
Or is the better solution to design parts as separate TPU and PLA/ABS/PETG components that need to be assembled and print them one a single extruder?
Looking forward to your input!
Update: Added 5th option.