I recently purchased a duet board and I’m a bit torn as to which printer to put it into. I’m curious what other people would do
Here’s the potential donors
Bigbox Dual extruder Kickstarter edition
- Would benefit from quieter drivers
- Good platform to make a tool changer / future capability
- Already has working dual extrusion capabilities
- Currently prints without major issues
- Already runs Octopi
- Some mechanical improvements needed on the Z
- Extruder is bulky and due for an upgrade
- It’s a delta running 8 bit and would benefit the most from 32 bit controller
- Deltas are fun
- Already has Octopi
- Printing shows “Resonance” issue with a benchy, could be a controller issue?
- No heated bed
Z morph 2.0S
- Can run a variety of extruders and tools, making best use of the Duet board
- Not already open source, has a bad interface and they refused to offer upgrade possibilities
- If Duet adds closed loop would be best used on this printer
- Not many good options for CAM path planning to replace the (underwhelming) native software with
- Some odd design choices in the older versions of the Z morph (2.0s and 2.0sx etc) . Needs machined component replacements
- Closed loop upgrades to the motors will be more critical for doing any light CNC cutting
- May already run 32 bit?
Replicator 2 Modified with Aluminum Braces
- Mightyboard is having some issues after a stepper driver popped
- Stepper drivers are loud
- Robust and reliable mechanical platform
- Was being upgraded to a Titan Aero before the failure
- Mightyboard may be fine when replacement drivers are installed
- Requires a new PSU or a way to use the old one
- It’s a makerbot so it’s a bit ‘special’
Let me know which one you would pick. I have my favorite but I’m curious what others might select.
Unfortunately I can’t add a poll!